The Tennessee Environmental Network conference is the largest and most comprehensive environmental conference in Tennessee, aimed at providing cutting edge information to environmental leaders from throughout the Southeast. They represent state, local, and federal government, business and industry, attorneys, consultants, engineers, developers, land owners, architects, agribusiness, energy experts, water planning districts, academia, public health, solid waste, recycling, environmental nonprofits, and HR recruiters.
Inaugural Student Scholarship Poster Competition
The Student Scholarship Poster Competition is intended to provide students the opportunity to present their research on timely environmental issues to a wide range of environmental professionals. Student finalists will have the opportunity to attend the Tennessee Environmental Network conference (May 11-13, 2022) and participate in the final round of the poster competition. The finalists will be granted full conference registration and lodging, and have the unique opportunity to showcase their research ideas to conference attendees from throughout the Southeast and beyond. (Student finalists are expected to provide their own travel to and from the conference, and are responsible for the printing of their posters for display at the conference. Additional Eligibility & Conditions are listed below.)
Up to three $1,000 scholarships will be awarded after the final round of judging at the conference. In addition to the monetary award, each scholarship recipient will be recognized on the conference web site and will be offered a complimentary registration for the Tennessee Environmental Network conference for the following year.
|Criteria||Percentage of Final Score|
|Prejudging of Electronic Poster Design|
|Relevance to current environmental issues||20%|
|Final Judging of Poster at Conference|
|Clarity of poster presentation (written)||20%|
|Oral presentation (ability to present the subject matter)||15%|
Eligibility & Conditions
- Eligible applicants must be degree-seeking students enrolled at an accredited higher education institution, with a graduation date not prior to the spring 2022 semester.
- All applicants must complete the online application, which includes an abstract of their poster topic, by March 30, 2022.
- Poster topic and abstract must address a timely environmental issue that is relevant to the state of Tennessee and/or the Southeast Region. For ideas regarding topics, applicants may visit our sister conference – the Georgia Environmental Conference – for the GEC Repository and view past finalists’ posters. The GEC Repository is available in the GEC Lounge under the “About” tab on the GEC website.
- Upon a first round of review of the applications by the Student Scholarship Committee, a select number of students will be invited to move forward as finalists in the poster competition. The finalists will be notified via email, and will be asked to prepare and submit a poster design. If a selected finalist declines the invitation to attend the conference and to continue in the poster competition, an alternate student will then be selected as a finalist. Upon acceptance, guidance for the format of the poster including the size will be provided to the finalists. The posters must be designed in a solution-oriented manner instead of merely stating the issue.
- Finalists are expected to format their poster in accordance with the specific guidelines as provided (to finalists).
- Finalists will submit an electronic (.pdf) copy of their poster prior to the conference.
- The electronic poster will be displayed on a monitor in the exhibit hall during the conference. A display monitor will be provided for each student. Finalists will be provided with a schedule of times during the conference that they should be available at their poster display to discuss their poster/research with conference attendees.
- Finalists are expected to attend the conference beginning the morning of Wednesday, May 11, and should be available throughout the conference as directed (conference schedule will be provided) to speak with conference attendees and the scholarship committee. Finalists will participate in a poster session with the scholarship committee and may be asked to give a “flash” presentation to all conference attendees during one of the conference Plenary Sessions. Instructions will be provided.
- Finalists are expected to participate in the conference by attending topic sessions.
- Finalists are expected to attend the evening Scholarship Awards Reception on Thursday, May 12, 2022.
- Application submission deadline – 5 p.m. on March 30, 2022
- Finalists announced – mid-April, 2022
- Finalists participate in Poster Presentation Session – 9 a.m. on Weds., May 11, 2022
- Finalists’ posters displayed in Exhibit Hall – Weds., May 11 and Thurs., May 12, 2022
- Scholarship award recipients announced at the conference evening reception on Thurs., May 12, 2022
Application & Reference Forms
2022 Student Scholarship Committee
- Scott Anderson, Haley & Aldrich, Inc. (Chair)
- Keith Cole, Ramboll
- Stephanie Durman, TDEC
- Philip Seagraves, Middle Tennessee State University
- Matt Taylor, TDEC Office of Policy & Sustainable Practices
2022 Student Scholarship Program Contributors
Student Scholarship Program Sponsor: TBA
Student Scholarship Program Contributors: TBA
For More Information
Dr. Jill Geraghty